- 4 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 5 cups chopped spinach, wilted (see Tip)
- 4 cups whole-grain bread, crusts removed if desired, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 1/2 pound, 4-6 slices)
- 1 cup diced ham steak, (5 ounces)
- 1/2 cup chopped jarred roasted red peppers
- 3/4 cup shredded Gruyère, or Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 7-by-11-inch glass baking dish or a 2-quart casserole with cooking spray.
- Whisk eggs, egg whites and milk in a medium bowl. Add mustard, rosemary and pepper; whisk to combine. Toss spinach, bread, ham and roasted red peppers in a large bowl. Add the egg mixture and toss well to coat. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and push down to compact. Cover with foil.
- Bake until the custard has set, 40 to 45 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with cheese and continue baking until the pudding is puffed and golden on top, 15 to 20 minutes more. Transfer to a wire rack and cool for 15 to 20 minutes before serving.