- 5-6 apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- 2 Tbsp. pastured butter (optional, this is purely for flavor)
- 1 cup apple cider (no sugar added)
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. cardamom
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup finely shredded coconut
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, melt the butter (if using) then add the cider, maple syrup, and spices. Whisk together and bring to a gentle boil. Let boil for about 10-15 minutes to reduce and thicken.
- Meanwhile, put diced apples in a heatproof bowl. When cider mixture is ready, pour over apples and toss to coat. Pour apples into baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, stir together all the topping ingredients and then spread evenly over the apples in the baking dish. Cover dish with tin foil and place in the oven, setting timer for 45 minutes. When the timer goes off, remove foil and bake for another 10 minutes to brown the topping. Remove from oven, let cool for a few minutes, then serve it up with a shovel.